Orchard View Schools
Segment 1 and Segment 2 Application
Instruction held @ OV Community Ed 1765 Ada Ave., Muskegon, MI, 49442 | Contact: OV Community Ed 231-760-1350 8am-4pm
Payment is due with application
- $350.00 (includes Segment 2).
- Segment 2 only: $75.00.
- Students repeating the program (due to absences, tardiness, classroom or driving failure, etc.) will be charged at full cost.
- A full refund or transfer to the next available course given (for any reason) prior to the student’s 1st day of class.
(24 Hours of classroom Instruction, 6 hours of driving time and 6 hours of observation)
- Parent and student MUST attend the MANDATORY orientation for Segment 1.
- Students must be 14 years and 8 months old by the first classroom session, verification by birth certificate is required.
- Students must have 20/40 or better corrected vision, vision screening required
- Students must have no uncontrolled health problems related to seizures.
- Attendance: only ONE absence (three tardies equal one absence) is allowed during Segment 1. It is the student’s responsibility to arrange with their instructor make-up time for the specific class they were absent. If a student has more than one absence they will be dropped with NO REFUND given.
- Classroom and pick-up site for driving sessions: Orchard View Community Education @ 1765 Ada.
- Students must pass 24 hours of classroom instruction (homework, quizzes & state test 70% or better) and have a minimum of 6 hours drive time and 6 hours of observation to receive the Segment 1 certificate. One retest is allowed, failure will result in fa ilure of Segment 1 (no refund given).
(allows students to drive with parent/guardian or an adult 21 years of age with permission)
- Student & parent apply at Secretary of State office.
- Bring: Segment 1 certificate, original Social Security card, original birth certificate, school ID card, utility bill, school transcript (5 pieces of identification are required).
- Student must be a minimum of 14 years, 9 months.
(6 hours of classroom instruction on defensive driving)
- Verification must be received that the student has completed a minimum of 30 hours of driving on a Level 1 license (including 2 hours at night) with a licensed parent/guardian.
- Students must have held a Level 1 license for not less than 3 continuous months.
- No absences or tardies allowed for Segment 2.
- To receive the Segment 2 certificate students must pass 6 hour OV classroom instruction (homework, quizzes and state test 70% or better). One retest is allowed, failure will result in failure of Segment 2 (no refund given).
Road Skills Test:
(schedule with independent testing agency)
- Complete/signed driving record of 50 hours, Segment 2 certificate, valid vehicle registration, and proof of insurance certificate required.
- Upon completion, students apply to the Secretary of State for Level 2 licenses.
Level 2 Driver's license:
(allows the student to drive without supervision (CANNOT drive between 10pm and 5am))
- Students must be at least 16 years of age.
- Must have possessed Level 1 license for at least 6 months.
- Students must have had no moving violation within 90 days prior to application.
- Restriction: only one passenger under 21 years of age allowed in vehicle unless traveling to and/or from school event.
Level 2 Driver's license:
(full driving privileges)
- Must be at least 17 years of age, must have possessed a Level 2 license for at least 6 months.
- Must have completed 12 consecutive months without a moving violation or accident resulting in a moving violation.
This provider is certified by the Secretary of State. If you have any complaint, which you cannot settle with this school, write: Michigan Dept. of State, Driver Program Division, Lansing MI, 48918
All school rules apply to Dr. Ed. Program. If a student is withdrawn due to disruptive behavior, inappropriate conduct, suspension, or expulsion the student will be dropped with no refund.
Orchard View Public Schools will conduct the behind-the-wheel instruction and in a dual controlled automobile and is fully insured covering each student enroll in the program.
Completion of driver education instruction does not guarantee qualification for a driver’s license.